After adding ATF to the BONE DRY transmission and strapping the battery down with a bungee cord, it was ready for a test drive! There are lots of things to do still, like new belts, hoses, flush the radiator, rebuild the carburetor, fix the broken generator mount, etc… but, it was close enough for a short test run! Marty dumped four quarts of ATF in the tranny and it still wouldn’t even show on the dipstick! I don’t know how much it takes, I guess I’ll have to check the service manual. Anyway, 4 quarts was enough for it to operate. We used that as an excuse to take it to the local auto parts store to buy more ATF. On the way we found that we have a warped or out-of-round drum, likely on the front… it shudders like a dog sh***ing broken glass, and when we got back we noticed a trail of AFT…. doh! When it’s in gear, its pumping fluid out of the rear part of the trans. Obviously a leaking seal of some sort… I sure hope this won’t require removal of the torque tube assembly, because that means removal of the ENTIRE REAR AXLE!
Here’s a video of Marty testing out the brakes in his driveway before the maiden voyage. Sorry for the shaky video.