The floor of the Buick, while not in horrible shape, definitely needs some repair. The rear pans are rust-free, but the fronts are another story. I opted to do a solid, but quick repair to the front pans. The “right” way to do it would be to cut them out completely and make new ones or modify some reproductions from a Chevrolet, but doing it “right” leads to other issues, such as replacing rotted inner rocker panels, rotted floor braces, etc. etc… so, I opted to just do a good solid fix so I can get it back on the road. These repairs will be re-done someday in the future when the car gets a proper full restoration.
In the above photo, you can see the areas just below the firewall where there are some nasty holes. Also note the unique heater duct-work that directs heat to the rear seat of the car.
The areas around the holes were cut out, with sheet metal tack welded in, then sealed with seam-sealer to be water proof.
Note the passenger side transmission tunnel. There was an area cut open for access to the transmission. Apparently at one time, someone needed to do a repair and this was their solution to gain access! Ouch! I welded it back shut and sealed it with seam-sealer.
The carpet was a real pain in the butt to install. The rear installed easily and fit nice, but the front section didn’t fit worth 2 cents. My dad came over and helped get the job done. We had to do some extra relief cuts, plus add a little more carpet at the edges of the toe board areas where it was simply too narrow. At least with the carpet scraps under there, you don’t see bare floor boards. The fit was AWFUL, I really recommend that you don’t buy the cheapest carpet you can find, which is what I did.. $184 bux shipped… well, I guess I got my moneys worth! It will work for now, but when the car gets full restoration this carpet will hit the trash bin!